People use search engines every second. So, if you are able to reach the top spots in search engine results for keywords relevant to your business, you will generate huge traffic and sales for free. But… SEO is a huge ocean. There are a ton of ranking factors and various types of SEO tactics involved.
If you're looking for the different types of SEO that people use to generate more search traffic, this post is exclusively for you. Let's get into the details without too much fuss.
What is SEO and what types?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of getting your website and pages to rank higher in search results.
SEO offers so many benefits including;
- Gives excellent ROI
- Generates high quality traffic
- Improves overall site sales
- Increase your organic visibility
- Improve your brand and the list goes on
SEO is one of the most powerful digital marketing strategies used by brands and companies to generate profits. If done right, SEO can provide 24/7 promotion for your business for free.
For example, here are some of the top results for the “where to buy cryptocurrency” search.
If you sell cryptocurrencies, you can optimize your website to get the best rankings on the search engine results page (SERP).
But it's not so easy to rank for such competitive keywords.
That's why most companies implement various types of SEO to rank their website pages on top of Google search results.
SEO consists of a ton of tactics, see the types:
But there are a few different types of search engine optimization tactics used by most people. These types of SEO include:
Voice Search SEO
Let's look at these different types of SEO strategies in detail so you can understand which one you should use to increase your search traffic.
On-page SEO (also known as on-site SEO) is one of the most common types of SEO used by millions of websites to improve their organic search engine rankings.
What is On-Page SEO?
On-page SEO is the process of optimizing your web pages in order to rank higher search results. On-page SEO refers to any on-site optimization that you control and include within your site.
Here are some of the widely used on-page SEO techniques;
- Optimize title tags and meta descriptions
- Use a short, sweet URL including a primary keyword
- Publish high quality content
- Target at least one or two keywords in every blog post
- Include ALT tags that are relevant to the images you are using
- Internal linking matters a lot (so always link to relevant posts when posting new content)
- Try to sprinkle relevant long tail keywords where necessary for better rankings
Should You Implement On-Page SEO on Your Website?
Yes definitely. On-page optimization helps you get more traffic from search engines like Google. But make sure NOT to overdo it (like keyword stuffing).
Off-page SEO (also known as off-site SEO) is another popular SEO technique used by webmasters around the world to build links, grow their brand, and improve their overall online presence.
What is off-page seo?
Off-page SEO refers to tactics taken outside your site to get higher rankings in search results. Unlike on-page SEO, off-page optimization is about everything that doesn't happen directly on your site.
Here are some of the popular off-page SEO techniques;
Off-page SEO is extremely important because it tells search engines like Google that your site is important to others on the web. If you want to improve your site's confidence signals, off-page SEO plays a key role.
Proper technical SEO helps search engine crawl and index your site faster and more effectively. If you want to get better rankings, you must improve your website's technical SEO.
What is technical SEO?
Technical SEO refers to optimizing your website for crawling and indexing. It also helps you find and fix any technical issues that are preventing your website from getting better rankings.
What should you do while performing technical SEO on your website?
Here are some of the things you should focus on;
- Find and fix all broken links on your site (including external and internal links)
- Find and delete all toxic links pointing to your site
- Crawl your site and look for any errors
- Get rid of thin and duplicate content
- Find and fix all missing ALT tags, long descriptions, missing titles, etc.
- Make sure your website is HTTPS-enabled and mobile-friendly
- Make sure your site is crawlable and indexable
Should You Implement Technical SEO on Your Website?
Yes definitely. Although technical SEO is not an easy task to perform. But when you have access to the right tools like Semrush, you can easily perform technical audits on your website to find and fix any technical issues.
Local SEO is essential for any business that has a physical location and a local presence. Local search engine optimization helps you generate more traffic, leads and brand awareness from local searches.
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimizing a website to be found in local search results. Local SEO helps you improve search engine visibility for local businesses.
Here are some of the local SEO tactics include;
- Find local keywords relevant to your business
- Optimizing your company's Google My Business (GMB) profile
- Building “NAP” (Name, Address, Phone) citations in local directories and Google Maps
- Always ask for “online reviews” for your website and business
- Optimizing your website for mobile as most local searches are performed on mobile
Should You Implement Local SEO on Your Website?
If you're running a business, agency, or offline store, local SEO is a MUST. Local SEO helps you connect with local searchers in your area.
Enterprise SEO is an SEO strategy that is often used by large company websites that have a ton (several thousand) of pages.
What is business SEO?
Enterprise SEO is the practice of improving search engine rankings for a large company consisting of hundreds of thousands or even millions of pages.
Some of the company's SEO tactics include;
- Optimizing your content for featured excerpts
- Targeting Extremely Competitive Keywords
- Competing with the BIG and authority sites in your industry
- Producing high quality content regularly
- Using structural data
- Optimizing your content for voice search
white hat seo
White hat SEO uses ethical strategies to get better rankings in search engines. All SEOs and agencies practice white hat SEO to improve their website rankings in search results.
What is white hat seo?
White hat SEO refers to tactics that work within search engine guidelines to improve a website's rankings in search results.
These are extremely safe SEO tactics used by all SEO experts across the world to improve their search rankings.
Here are some of the widely used white hat SEO tactics;
- Create long-lasting content that's useful to your target audience
- Create backlinks using always-green strategies like guest blogging, blogger advertising, building broken links, etc.
- Creation of different types of content, such as articles, videos, podcasts, infographics, etc.
- Improving your website load times to provide a better user experience
- Building and increasing your social media presence organically
- Updating your content regularly to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Should you implement white hat seo on your website?
Yes always. White hat SEO complies with Google guidelines. Thus, you can always implement white hat SEO strategies on your website to get better rankings in search results.
black hat seo
Black hat SEO techniques are used to generate more organic traffic to a website, violating search engine guidelines. Although not recommended, many people still practice black hat SEO to quickly get more traffic from Google.
What is black hat seo?
Black hat SEO is the practice of improving a website's search rankings, thereby implementing unethical tactics that often violate Google's search engine guidelines.
Black hat SEO is BAD for your business and in addition it can lead to getting your website banned or penalized in search results.
Here are some of the black hat SEO tactics include;
- Buying bulk links from sites like Fiverr
- Content automation (using content automation tools to create content)
- Using hidden text or links
- Leaving spam comments
- Creating Copied Content
Should you implement black hat seo on your website?
NEVER! Unless you want your site banned from Google search, never practice or implement black hat SEO strategies. It takes time to build but also to increase search traffic. Don't expect quick results.
gray hat SEO
People as well as SEO agencies who are looking to quickly improve their search traffic often use gray hat SEO techniques. While gray hat SEO may bring some search traffic initially, it won't last (due to frequent updates from Google).
What is a gray hat?
Gray hat SEO is the combination of white hat SEO techniques as well as black hat. This may or may not result in your site being penalized by Google, ie it depends on how you use these tactics.
But it's still a risky SEO practice that you should avoid if you want to be safe from Google's penalties.
Some of the common gray hat SEO tactics include;
- Buying Expired Domains
- Buying domains with exact keywords
- Using PBNs (Private Blog Networks) to Create Links
- Buying links
- Automation of social media and buying followers to increase online presence
Should you implement gray hat seo on your website?
If you want to be safe from future Google algorithm updates and penalties, you should avoid using gray hat SEO techniques.
Negative SEO is a malicious SEO practice that is used by your competitors to demolish your website rankings on search engines like Google. So if you're not careful and don't fight negative SEO, your site could be banned or penalized by search engines.
What is negative SEO?
Negative SEO is often done by your competitors to tarnish your site's ranking in search engine results.
Here are some of the most common negative SEO tactics that most people (or their competitors) use to tarnish a websites search ranking;
- Automated Spam Link Building
- Leaving negative or false comments about a product or website
- link farms
- Removing backlinks by sending fake link removal requests
- Hacking a website to steal links
Should You Protect Your Website Against Negative SEO?
Absolutely yes. You never know how your competitors are trying to put you down in search results. That's why protecting your site and always keeping an eye on your site's backlinks is extremely important.
YouTube SEO is similar to Google SEO, but you're primarily optimizing your keyword terms for YouTube instead of Google. YouTube has over 2 billion monthly active users. So if you are looking to boost your brand or business online, you must implement YouTube SEO tactics.
What is YouTube SEO?
YouTube SEO is the process of optimizing videos from your YouTube channels to rank YouTube organic search results for specific keywords or phrases.
Here are some of the popular YouTube SEO techniques you can use;
- Include your main keyword in the video title and meta description
- Use proper thumbnails
- Find the right keywords to create videos
- Optimize your YouTube video tags
- Increase your YouTube video's clock time because it's an important YouTube ranking metric
Types of SEO: Voice Search
With smartphones getting cheaper and also reaching billions of hands, voice searches are growing rapidly. Most people are now using their smartphones as well as voice assistants to look for something online.
What is Voice Search SEO?
Voice search SEO is the process of optimizing keyword phrases for searches using voice assistants. Voice polling mainly includes the users' natural language and provides relevant quick answers.
Here are some of the common voice search SEO techniques used;
- Key phrases based on target questions
- Focus on using conversational keywords
- Implement schema markup
- Make your website mobile friendly
- Use frequently asked questions when creating pages
- Create content that gives direct answers to voice surveys
Should You Implement Voice Search SEO?
Google reports that around 27% of online users worldwide use mobile voice search. So if you optimize your content for voice search SEO, you will be getting additional traffic from search engines like Google.
There are many SEO techniques you can use to get better search rankings. So make sure you practice the best SEO tactics like white hat SEO, YouTube SEO, on-page SEO, etc. to increase your site's rankings on SERPs.
If you want guidance, ask questions, make plans or look for a partner to build your website, then know that with Colors Agency, we guarantee much more than just an attractive look and a modern layout for your website.
Our main focus is to offer companies around the world effective solutions to generate visibility on the internet.
Our agency develops SEO strategies as well as brand positioning for multinational companies, large, medium and small, all projects are important to us.
Did you like this article on types of SEO? Then share it with your friends!